- The Second American Bauhaus
When Lazlo Moholy-Nagy, a member of the German Bauhaus, founded the Institute of Design in Chicago after World War II, a young sailor who had seen action in the Pacific enrolled. Inspired by Moholy's vision of design as a tool to change the world, Harold Cohen vowed to pursue it after Moholy's death in 1948. In the mid 1950s. Delyte Morris, the visionary and ambitious state college president in Southern Illinois, hired Cohen to do just that. Cohen's not-yet-famous friend, Buckminster Fuller, joined him in Carbondale, where their visions of a better world formed the second American Bauhaus.
John McHale, British art and design critic described the SIU Design Department saying, "Housed in a collection of post-war temporary buildings, with four geodesic domes as workshop areas, one has the feeling that the whole school could be dismantled in a few hours, flown anywhere in the world, and be operative as an education and research tool immediately." Illustrated throughout. Includes 4 page color insert.
"Al Gowan’s Shared Vision is a valuable addition to the record of the influence of the Bauhaus in post-war America. His interviews with participants bring it alive. "
"In this book Al Gowan brings to light a missing chapter in American design history. The people and events he includes were crucial to charting new directions for design in the United States and worldwide."
About the Author